Thursday, March 26, 2009

Victory Thy Name is PERENNIAL!!!!

Hi, my name is Lindsey East and I am a plant-killer.



My grandmother was a lover of all blooms. My mother is a lover of all blooms. I....kill all blooms. I have unsuccessfully tried to keep plants alive for about 5 or 6 years. When I got married, I figured, hey, I'm a wife now - this means I miraculously obtained the magical gift of the green thumb. FAIL. I kept a bamboo plant alive for a short 9 months and it died a long painful death.

I was at Wal-Mart recently and saw some clearance plants. I have to be honest. I bought the first plant because the pot said 'Made in Germany'. I thought it was a sign from my Grandma Barlag so I bought it. I have three of those now and NONE are dead! Granted, it's been three weeks, but that's beside the point......

On to the moral of this victory story! When we bought our house in August of '07, there was not a living plant on the property. Growing up surrounded by beautiful plants and flowers, I needed some sign of life at my house. I talked to my mom and dad and they were so wonderful about helping. The following fall, they dove right in, helping me dig and collect rock. They probably went home and snickered..."Lindsey's going to try to keep something ALIVE!!!" (Just kidding!) Mom guided me step-by-step on the how's and what's of planting bulbs. It was late fall, so there wasn't much happening. Dad collected awesome rocks for my flower bed and it looked so put together. ALL I HAD TO DO WAS WATER IT, RIGHT?! Wrong. My lilies were in bloom when I planted them and shortly after, died. My hostas never came up. It's me. I'm a natural born killer.

Isaac waters them last week. Guess what?





Needless to say, his chores now include watering mommy's plants. We're headed off to buy more mulch tonight. We need to cover all the plants because apparently Kansas has decided to throw some snow down and IT'S ALMOST APRIL. Ridiculous. Mother Nature hates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment